We value our partnerships with many local and regional employers, whether you are large or small, working together can help to raise your profile within the local community and allows you to play an instrumental role in the development of the future work force.
What are the Work Related Learning Opportunities at Bath College?
- Work experience placement – A period of work experience, which is unpaid, and maybe related to a course of study.
- Work shadowing – Where a student observes a member of staff working in an organisation, and so gains an understanding of what a particular job entails.
- Career @ Forums – Showcase your business to a group of students? [ click through to newspaper reports]Recently travel and tourism and construction students have visited specific employers to find out what they do, meet apprentices, have a tour and discuss employability and recruitment.
- Visit the College to offer vocational insights, demonstrations of skills, support courses, set up projects and judge competitions.
- Job Shop – Tell us about a full time or part time vacancy suitable for students and we will promote it for you.
- Offer an Apprenticeship – Find out more
What are the benefits of offering work experience?
Whatever the size or capabilities of your organisation you could reap the benefits from taking students on work experience.
Students can offer many qualities to your organisation and can bring fresh new ideas, enthusiasm or develop projects that the company just hasn’t had time to carry out.
Students asking for work experience are looking for the opportunity to develop the skills they need for the world of work. Overall, by offering students a period of work experience, your business will gain new ideas and fresh enthusiasm, as well as a cost-effective flexible solution to your recruitment needs.
Making work experience work for you
At Bath College we have a dedicated employability team and a work placement officer, Jenny Barnes, who can work with you to help make offering work related learning straightforward and rewarding for the student and employer.
Tips for a Successful Work Placement
- The most effective placements are those where the aim is clearly identified and agreed by the employer, student and the college.
- Students benefit most when employers put them through the same selection process as any other prospective employee.
- If possible pair the student up with another employee who can ‘mentor’ and be responsible for running through the initial health and safety briefing and be a point of contact for the student during the placement.
- It is really helpful if you can give the student some constructive feedback at the end of the placement, so they can learn from their experience with you.
If you are keen to find out more about work experience opportunities, or would like to discuss opportunities for your business to work with Bath College on work related learning opportunities and work experience placements, please contact our Futures team at Futures@bathcollege.ac.uk or call (01225) 328501.