West of England Labour Market Intelligence – Things to consider
- Big aerospace and engineering companies are based here (Airbus, BAE Systems, GKN Aerospace and Rolls-Royce).
- Bath and Bristol have been identified as two of the hot spots for creative and digital outside of London. There are only 9 across the whole of the UK!
- Over 14,000 people work in the IT sector in the South West, and that’s set to increase.
- 13% of the UK’s photo imaging industry is in the South West.
- With pull factors like Cabot Circus in Bristol and Southgate in Bath, it is no surprise that 90,000 people work in retail in the West of England
- Construction accounts for 8% of the UK’s total workforce, with 25,000 jobs in the West of England
- Most Professional Services (Law, IT and Finance) salaries in the West of England are between £40,000-£49,999.
- Although it’s based just outside the region, Hinkley Point C will be Europe’s largest ever construction project and will impact a number of people in our region across a number of sectors. It will cost billions and create 25,000 jobs over the lifetime of the project.