Catering and Hospitality VRQ Advanced Technical Diploma Level 3
During this Catering and Hospitality advanced level 3 course you will learn to supervise part of the team in preparing and cooking, using high quality fresh ingredients, to cook complex meat, fish and soup dishes, advanced desserts, patisserie items, butchery and fishmongery skills, gastronomy and product development, supervision of health, safety and food hygiene, kitchen management and food cost control, menu engineering and pricing, food and beverage operations theory and principles of supervision. These skills will give you advanced experience to take on a higher role in industry.
What topics are covered?
The units you take will depend on your own training needs, but some examples include:
- Cooking complex fish dishes
- Cooking complex meat dishes
- Cooking complex soups
- Preparing and cooking complex shellfish dishes
- Gastronomy and product development
- Supervision of health, safety and food hygiene
- Kitchen management and food cost control
- Menu engineering and pricing
As a full-time student at Bath College, you will follow a study programme consisting of a vocational diploma, maths and English, employability skills, volunteering and tutorial. Please visit our Study Programmes page for details.
Who is the course aimed at?
This course is suitable for anyone wishing to develop their skills in this vocational area.
What are the entry requirements?
- Level 3 VRQ Diploma
- Excellent communication skills, a high standard of personal presentation, and a professional customer focussed approach
- Minimum grade C/4 in English or Maths plus grade D/3 in other subject
- Interview and skills test
What qualifications will I gain?
- Level 3 VRQ Diploma in Professional Cookery
- In addition to the Level 3 qualification, you will achieve the relevant technical certificates.
Who is the awarding body?City and Guilds
How will I learn?
Your learning will be classroom and practical based, with assignments, presentations and reports, working individually and in small groups.
How will I be assessed?
Your progress and achievement will be continuously assessed throughout the programme. This will take a variety of forms, including observation, assignments, practical and written tests. To optimise your achievements private study is highly recommended.
What can I do after this course?
- Apply for positions in prestigious professional kitchens or restaurants locally, nationally or internationally. Our previous students have gained employment, locally at The Pump Rooms, Kilver Court, the Priory Hotel, The Wheatsheaf, and nationally at the Cliveden House Hotel, also as ski chalet hosts in the Swiss Alps
- Go onto a trainee management scheme
- Progress to higher education and study a foundation degree, HNC or HND at university
Are there any additional costs?
Uniform, knives and books (discussed at interview)
What funding is available?If you are aged 19 or over you may be eligible to apply for a 19+ Advanced Learning Loan to cover your tuition fees.
For other funding information, please refer to our Funding page.
What facilities are available?
You will gain experience in our on-site state-of-the-art kitchens and restaurant facilities such as The Shrubbery Restaurant and Bistro.
Which department is this course in?Hospitality, Hair, Beauty and Spa Industries
Where will I need to go on my first day?On your first day, please report to the Reception in the Roper Building at City Centre Campus.
What else do I need to know?
You will need to comply with the following policies that are issued at enrolment:
- Dress code
- Code of conduct
- Locker policy
- Scissor / knife policy
A basic stationery pack will be issued to enrolled students.
Where can I find out more information?For advice or more details please telephone 01225 312191 or email email@example.com. You may also visit our Student Advice Centre.
If you have a learning difficulty or disability, please contact Additional Learning Support to arrange additional help.
How do I apply?Online: Click the "Apply" button and fill out an online application form.
By post: download the Full-Time Application Form and send to Student Advice Centre, Bath College, Avon Street, Bath BA1 1UP.
In person: Visit the Student Advice Centre in either of our campuses
To find out more about the application process, please go to the How to Apply page.