Complementary Therapies Level 3
This Complementary Therapies Level 3 course provides the practical skills and internationally recognised qualifications to gain employment in the complementary and spa therapies industry. We are fortunate to have strong links with local 5 star spas such as The Thermae Spa, The Royal Crescent and the new Gainsborough Spa Hotel. Students will have the opportunity to apply for work experience with the possibility of securing employment and work experience. You have to complete a final practical exam demonstrating treatments and written tests covering all the topics. This is graded pass, merit or distinction.
What topics are covered?
- Providing body massage for complementary therapies (advanced massage applied to the whole body)
- Anatomy and physiology for complementary therapies (knowledge of the body and all its systems)
- Knowledge of less common pathology for complementary therapies
- Providing reflexology (pressure point techniques on the hands and feet)
- Providing aromatherapy (study 42 essential oils and how to apply them using a variety of techniques)
- Principles and practice of complementary therapies (knowledge of health, safety, ethical and codes of practice to enable therapists to provide safe practice)
- Business practice for complementary therapies
Who is the course aimed at?
This course is suitable for anyone wishing to develop their skills in this vocational area.
What are the entry requirements?
- Level 2 qualification in Complementary Therapies or NVQ / VRQ Level 2 in Beauty (with Massage) or Advanced Beauty NVQ 3
- Excellent communication skills, a high standard of personal presentation, a mature caring attitude and a professional customer focussed approach
- Interview during which you will be expected to take part in a practical skills test
What qualifications will I gain?
VTCT Level 3 Diploma in Complementary Therapies
Who is the awarding body?VTCT
How will I be assessed?
Units are internally and externally assessed and you will have to complete a final practical exam showing a selection of treatments on a model as well as a written theory based paper covering all the topics taught over this course. This will be graded Pass, Merit or Distinction. Continuous practical assessment is used to teach and develop vocational competence. On completion of each unit you will be required to sit an externally set theory exam.
What can I do after this course?
- Gain employment in spas
- Progress to SPA Therapy Level 3 course
Are there any additional costs?
Uniform, text books and kit (discussed at interview)
What funding is available?If you are aged 19 or over you may be eligible to apply for a 19+ Advanced Learning Loan to cover your tuition fees.
For other funding information, please refer to our Funding page.
What facilities are available?
You will gain experience in our on-site state-of-the-art facilities such as the Academy Studios.
Which department is this course in?Hospitality, Hair, Beauty and Spa Industries
Where will I need to go on my first day?On your first day, please report to the Reception in the Roper Building at City Centre Campus.
What else do I need to know?
You will need to comply with the following policies that are issued at enrolment:
- Dress code
- Code of conduct
- Locker policy
A basic stationery pack will be issued to enrolled students.
Where can I find out more information?For advice or more details please telephone 01225 312191 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also visit our Student Advice Centre.
If you have a learning difficulty or disability, please contact Additional Learning Support to arrange additional help.
How do I apply?Online: Click the "Apply" button and fill out an online application form.
By post: download the Full-Time Application Form and send to Student Advice Centre, Bath College, Avon Street, Bath BA1 1UP.
In person: Visit the Student Advice Centre in either of our campuses
To find out more about the application process, please go to the How to Apply page.