Complementary Therapies Level 3
This Complementary Therapies Level 3 course provides the practical skills and internationally recognised qualifications to gain employment in the complementary and spa therapies industry. We are fortunate to have strong links with local 5 star spas such as Lucknam park, The Royal Crescent, The Priory and The potting sheds at The Pig who offer work experience and in the case of Lucknam park an opportunity to apply for a 3 year working pathway to senior staff.
Students will have the opportunity to apply for work experience and apply for international work experience. There is the strong possibility of securing employment during the course. You will have to complete a final practical exam demonstrating treatments and 2 externally written theory exams. This is graded pass, merit or distinction.
What topics are covered?
- Providing body massage for complementary therapies (advanced massage applied to the whole body)
- Anatomy and physiology for complementary therapies (knowledge of the body and all its systems)
- Knowledge of less common pathology for complementary therapies
- Providing reflexology (pressure point techniques on the hands and feet)
- Providing aromatherapy (study 42 essential oils and how to apply them using a variety of techniques)
- Principles and practice of complementary therapies (knowledge of health, safety, ethical and codes of practice to enable therapists to provide safe practice)
- Business practice for complementary therapies
- As a full-time student at Bath College, you will follow a study programme consisting of a vocational diploma, maths and English, employability skills, volunteering and tutorial. Please visit our Study Programmes page for details
Who is the course aimed at?
This course is aimed at anyone looking for a progressive career in spa/complementary therapies industry enabling you to gain insurance and a become skilled practitioner.
What are the entry requirements?
- You need to be aged 16 and over.
- Four level 4 and above GCSE’s, including English and Maths.
What qualifications will I gain?
You will gain a VTCT Diploma in Complementary Therapies Level 3, nationally and internationally recognised.
Who is the awarding body?VTCT
How will I learn?
You will learn:
- By attending theory lessons and by practicing on fee paying clients who will become cases studies to assess progression in the subject.
- By participating in work experience alongside the course to gain strong industry development.
- By visiting and participating a variety of spas and employer engagement.
- By participating in subject related voluntary work to strengthen skills and community links.
How will I be assessed?
- This qualification is graded pass, merit or distinction.
- A service portfolio of formative practical assessments and written work.
- A graded final assessment with each unit enabling a pass, merit or distinction grade.
- Two external theory exams, marked by VTCT.
- A final end of year practical exam, attended by employers and an external examiner.
What can I do after this course?
- Work in a variety of spa’s and therapy centres.
- Work within the NHS.
- Work in community groups and businesses.
- Progress to SPA Therapy Level 3 course.
Are there any additional costs?
There will be an additional cost for the course kit. This information will be given prior to your start date.
What funding is available?If you are aged 19 or over you may be eligible to apply for a 19+ Advanced Learning Loan to cover your tuition fees.
For other funding information, please refer to our Funding page.
What facilities are available?
You will gain experience in our on-site state-of-the-art facilities such as the Academy Studios.
Which department is this course in?Hospitality, Hair, Beauty and Spa Industries
Where will I need to go on my first day?
You will be allocated a room or area to be collected from.
What do I need to bring?
You should bring with your a pen and paper and your uniform, if required.
What else do I need to know?
You will need to comply with the following policies that are issued at enrolment:
- Dress code
- Code of conduct
- Locker policy
A basic stationery pack will be issued to enrolled students.
Where can I find out more information?For advice or more details please telephone 01225 312191 or email email@example.com. You may also visit our Student Advice Centre.
If you have a learning difficulty or disability, please contact Additional Learning Support to arrange additional help.
How do I apply?Online: Click the "Apply" button and fill out an online application form.
By post: download the Full-Time Application Form and send to Student Advice Centre, Bath College, Avon Street, Bath BA1 1UP.
In person: Visit the Student Advice Centre in either of our campuses
To find out more about the application process, please go to the How to Apply page.