Hairdressing NVQ Level 2
This is a one-year hairdressing programme which provides a foundation qualification in ladies hairdressing. This course is also suitable for adult students who demonstrate sufficient commitment and enthusiasm, learning practical skills in our professional salons enhanced by theoretical knowledge.
What topics are covered?
The qualification will cover basic practical skills and related knowledge. You will learn how to:
- Ensure responsibility for actions to reduce risks to health and safety
- Give clients a positive impression of yourself and your organisation
- Advise and consult with clients
- Shampoo, condition and treat the hair and scalp
- Change hair colour
- Style and finish hair
- Set and dress hair
- Cut hair using basic techniques
- Fulfil salon reception duties
- Promote additional services or products to clients
- Perm and neutralise hair
You may have opportunities to participate in additional training to achieve a certificate in colouring, visit the Salon trade fair and take part in the College competition.As a full-time student at Bath College, you will follow a study programme consisting of a vocational diploma, maths and English, employability skills, volunteering and tutorial. Please visit our Study Programmes page for details.
Who is the course aimed at?
This course is suitable for anyone wishing to develop their skills in this vocational area.
What are the entry requirements?
- Four full GCSEs including English Language and Maths at grade D/3 or above OR Level 1 Diploma in Hair and Beauty
- A good record of attendance and punctuality is essential and evidence of this is required in a school report
- Excellent communication skills, a high standard of personal presentation, a mature caring attitude and a professional customer focussed approach
- Interview during which you will be expected to take part in a basic practical skills test
What qualifications will I gain?
VTCT Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Hairdressing
Who is the awarding body?VTCT
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed on a continuous basis within a realistic working environment. Projects, oral questions, written tests and the production of a portfolio of completed work.
What can I do after this course?
- Gain employment in a hairdressing salon
- Continue to extend your skills by enrolling onto:
- Hair and Media Make Up Level 2
- Barbering Level 2
- Complementary Therapy NVQ Level 2
- Beauty Therapy Level 2
- Hairdressing Level 3
Are there any additional costs?
Uniform, kit and text books (discussed at interview).
What funding is available?For funding information, please refer to our Funding page.
What facilities are available?
You will gain experience in our on-site state-of-the-art facilities such as the Academy Studios.The Academy
Which department is this course in?Hospitality, Hair, Beauty and Spa Industries
Where will I need to go on my first day?On your first day, please report to the Reception in the Roper Building at City Centre Campus.
What else do I need to know?
You will need to comply with the following policies that are issued at enrolment:
- Dress code
- Code of conduct
- Locker policy
- Scissor / knife policy
A basic stationery pack will be issued to enrolled students.
Where can I find out more information?For advice or more details please telephone 01225 312191 or email email@example.com. You may also visit our Student Advice Centre.
If you have a learning difficulty or disability, please contact Additional Learning Support to arrange additional help.
How do I apply?Online: Click the "Apply" button and fill out an online application form.
By post: download the Full-Time Application Form and send to Student Advice Centre, Bath College, Avon Street, Bath BA1 1UP.
In person: Visit the Student Advice Centre in either of our campuses
To find out more about the application process, please go to the How to Apply page.