Project SEARCH (B&NES)
Want to work but need help? If you are looking for an intensive job coaching programme with progression into work and:
- Are aged 18-24 years of age
- Have completed your final year of school education
- Have evidence of learning difficulties or disabilities
Then Project SEARCH could be for you. Project SEARCH is a supported internship programme to help young people with learning difficulties or disabilities secure and keep paid permanent jobs. It is a unique, business-led, one-year, school-to-work programme that takes place entirely at the workplace. Total workplace immersion facilitates a seamless combination of classroom instruction, career exploration, and relevant job-skills training through strategically designed internships.
What topics are covered?
A Bath College tutor and Virgin Care job coach will support you through a three part programme of work training via a series of three work placements in different departments at B&NES Council, our host organisation. Bath College and Virgin Care will support you through these internships for three periods of ten weeks over the academic year.
Project SEARCH aims prepare you for competitive employment using the skills you have acquired. You will develop your employability skills such as communication, problem solving and teamwork as well as self-presentation, budgeting and self-promotion.
What are the entry requirements?
You will need to:
- be between 18 and 24 years of age
- have completed your final year of school education
- have evidence of a learning difficulty or disability (LDA, SEN Statement, S139a, EHC Plan, My Plan etc)
- have independent personal hygiene and grooming skills
- have independent daily living skills
- maintain appropriate behaviour and social skills in the workplace
- take direction from a workplace supervisor and change behaviour
- be able to communicate effectively
- be able to use public transport when available and
- participate in travel training to ensure success in using the bus independently
- be able to pass Disclosure and Barring Service requirements
- and most of all, have the desire and plan to move into work at the conclusion of the Project Search programme.
How will I learn?
A typical day at Project SEARCH:
08:30 – 09:30 – Classroom-based activities to build and reinforce the skills needed in the work place.
10:00 – 14:30 – Working on your placement with a Council Department, initially supported by job coaches and tutor.
15:30 – 15:30 – Classroom-based reflection time, reviewing what skills you are developing.
What hours will I be in college?
You will be in class/workplace 08:30 – 15:30, five days a week.
What funding is available?For funding information, please refer to our Funding page.
What organisations does the College work with on this course?
Where can I find out more information?
You may also visit our Student Advice Centre at either campus.
How do I apply?
Online: click the “Apply” button and fill out an online application form.
By post: download and complete both the Full-Time Application Form and the Project SEARCH Application Form and send to Student Advice Centre, Bath College, Avon Street, Bath BA1 1UP
In person: visit the Student Advice Centre in either of our campuses